Friday, May 22, 2009

Celebration of Life

May 22, 2009- I attended the most beautiful funeral service for Celia Hunt Turley. She was my co-worker's sister. She was 39 years old, married, with 5 kids. She was a kindergarten teacher in the Gilbert School District. She wasn't feeling well, and on May 7th, found out she had leukemia. And 10 days later- on May 16th, passed away. It was so very sudden, it was a shock to everyone.

She was a patient at the dental office, but I had only met her once or twice. We closed down the whole office to go support Allyson and her family. The funeral service was amazing. I barely knew Celia- but I'm so inspired by her life. These are the flowers we got for the service. (from the whole office). I picked them out. They are called "Celebration of Life". I hesitated getting these because they had very vibrant colors. (and the other funeral flowers were all white- or red roses) But I'm so glad I did. It fit her very well. And it's what her life was- vibrant, full, and beautiful.

Not that I want to plan my own funeral... but if I could I would want it just like hers. The music was so moving, and beautiful. "Abide with me"- was the solo, as well as played on the piano and violins. "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was sung by a choir, as well as accompanied by a small orchestra (bass, violins, cellos) And at the end, we all sang "Be Still My Soul." The spirit was so strong.

Her dad was a bishop, and he testified of the plan of salvation. And how grateful he was for the knowledge that he could be with his family for all eternity, and that they were sealed in the temple. Her sister spoke- gave the Life Sketch. She was so amazing. So many talents. Her widowed husband spoke- and made us laugh. (He said he was supposed to give the bishop some kind of sign from the front row to show if he wanted to speak.. (like a baseball sign) But he shouldn't have picked something involving the eyes or nose.) And made us cry. He said "we're sure hurting right now.. but we'll get through this. By using the Atonement of Jesus Christ, our hearts will heal."

I was so amazed by their family. They are strong in the gospel, and their faith will get them through this. I know this is true. I know they have been sealed in the temple, so they will have the opportunity to be with Celia again after this life. I believe it will all my heart. But to have to composure to say it out loud at your wife's funeral...and not to be overwhelmed by grief... wow.

What inspired me most about Celia's life- was how she left things behind for her children to remember her by. She was an avid journal writer/blogger. She wrote and performed plays. She has scrapbooks with pictures of their family together. They have video of her singing/playing instruments. Her youngest son is 6 years old. He will always have a way to remember and learn more about his mother.

And it started me thinking... what have I done to make an impact on this world? I mean... I know I have had a great impact on individual people who knew me. But how can I impact those who never had the chance the meet me? I feel like I need to work on developing my talents more. (and figuring out what those talents are!) I'm going to start writing in my journal more... so future generations can have the opportunity to know the real me. And I'm thinking of other creative outlets... and I'll let you know... But the most important thing... (which I feel like I already do) is to Celebrate Life. And to cherish and nurture relationships. And try every day, to appreciate every moment we have here on this earth. Most days I'm good at doing this. Sometimes, I need a reminder. This was a pretty poignant reminder.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

You're going to write in your journal more??? How is that possible?

My posterity will certainly know you and the impact you have had on me and them. And I'm sure they're not the only ones. No need to worry about your legacy. Just keep doing what you're doing. It doesn't have to be big to make a difference in the world.

Jessica said...

Sounds like an amazing service. My dad didn't do much to document his life and I really wish he had done more, but the few things I have from him are precious treasures forever. I think it's really important to leave things for our loved ones to remember us by.

You're an awesome person. I'm so glad I have you as my friend to help inspire me to be a better person.