Sunday, October 5, 2008

178th Annual General Conference

General Conference Weekend is MY FAVORITE!!
I love just taking the weekend off to just recharge my spiritual batteries.

I love listening to a prophet of God speak. You can just tell how much he loves all the people in the world. President Monson is an amazing man.

President Hinckley is still my hero- for his unfailing optimism and sense of humor. But you just gotta love President Monson. He is well-suited to carry on in President Hinckley's footsteps.

All the 12 apostles' talks were good. (Seriously- isn't Joseph B. Wirthlin one of everybody's favorites?) The guy is 92! And still speaking every time in conference!

I thought all the talks were excellent! (But of course, I still have my favorites.) Every talk seemed exactly suited for our time. They were uplifting, encouraging, and insightful. And you always walk away from it feeling so good!!!

PLUS- between conference sessions on Sunday, my friend Ben hosted his annual "Waffle Fruitology"! (which is basically making waffles with practically every topping imaginable!) So between good talks, good speakers, good friends, and yummy waffles... what's not to like?? :)

If by chance you missed a session, you can watch them all online!

(Even the Relief Society Broadcast!)

And if you haven't seen that- You HAVE to watch the last one- Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk!!!!! It was phenomenal!! After he finished speaking, I felt like standing up and cheering. He's an incredible speaker- with such a powerful message. (How to find God's happiness.)

Not to give parts of it away.... but a couple of my favorite parts where when he talked about happiness being our heritage. (which I had never thought about.) And when he spoke about finding happiness through creating... that just hit me strong. That was AWESOME. (Particularly because I've always associated "creating" with artistic talents- which I lack!!) But there's so much more you can create!! (Watch the talk- it's so awesome!!!) And the 2nd thing he spoke about was finding happiness through being compassionate and serving. (Seems like that's been brought up before- but he definitely had some new points that were fantastic- about pop culture vs. the real way.) VERY interesting!! He talked about serving others, and said my new favorite quote:

"The number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance."

Check it out: http://www.lds.org/conference/languages/0,6353,310-1,00.html

1 comment:

The Luthy Life said...

I agree about looking forward to conference weekend and being spiritually recharged. When President Monson spoke I could feel the spirit so strong. You know he is a prophet of God. We are so blessed to have the gospel in our lives.