Saturday, January 10, 2009

Take a bite out of crime... not my dog.

Well... it's been a little busy around here.

My mom is going to stay in UT to help take care of my grandma. My dad has been flying back and forth based on his work schedule. I've been sleeping over at my parents' house to help out.

And since there wasn't enough going on, what the heck... might as well throw in another ball to juggle!

Last week at dog training class, Jasmine had a rough day. She was bit by a pit bull. (It was a new dog in class- and agressive obviously). He grabbed Jasmine and shook her. I've discovered I'm really calm during emergencies. (and then after I break down). It punctured the skin and was bleeding, so I drove to the vet with her on my lap. Since I also had my parents' dog Toddy with me, a nice lady from training class came with me to hold him. (and for moral support) They shaved the area, and had to irrigate the wound. (that's when she she started yelping.) The vet came out to ask if they could give her a sedative. I said yes, but also asked if I could go back there to hold her. I held her, and they were able to finish up.

The owner of the pitbull felt really bad. I told him I wasn't angry. I was glad he was getting his dog trained, so he can fix this. (So it doesn't happen to anyone else.) And the trainer is actually going to help pay my vet bill. (Since he was the one working him when this happened.)

She's healing up quite well. They gave me pain-killers and antibiotics to give her. But the pain-killers made her wobbly. And she didn't want to lie in her kennel. I made her a little bed out in the living room on pillows, but she kept getting up. And walking around drunk. So I gave up. Besides- that night she jumped on the bed with me. (while drugged) So she couldn't have been hurting all that bad!! And getting her to take those pills was quite the adventure!

After a couple of failed attempts with lunch meat and cheese, I finally figured out how to get Jasmine to take her pills!! I get a spoonful of peanut butter, and let Toddy get some first. That makes Jasmine jealous!! So then she wants some. So I just hide the pill in a glob of peanut butter and put it on her tongue. (Then have her keep licking more off my finger, so she doesn't spit out the pill.) Now she's really good about taking them. Toddy looks like a lizard when he eats peanut butter! It's quite amusing!

We had a minor incident about a week later, because the vet tech gave me the wrong dosage of antibiotics. But we fixed that.Jasmine was supposed to have her audition in January, but now I just have to wait for Jasmine's hair to grow back!!! Then we'll do it. (Maybe February?)


This is her 2 weeks later. She gets nervous around big dogs, but we're working on overcoming that. (For obvious reasons!) But other than that, she's doing great! Very spunky and happy again. :)

1 comment:

Annie said...

Poor Jasmine! I'm glad she's ok. I would have freaked out.