Saturday, July 24, 2010

1st Day on the Job!

Heber J. Grant said:

"Service is the real key to joy. When one is giving service for the advancement of humanity, when one is working without money and without price, with no hope of earthly reward, there comes a real, genuine joy into the human heart."

This is one of the reasons I started volunteering at the hospital with Jasmine. It's partially for selfish reasons. When I make others happy, it makes me happy. I really felt good after being at the hospital with Jaz yesterday.

It was our first day, and we were shadowing another dog therapy team- Candy (the human) and Stormy (her sheltie). We checked in at the nurses' station on each floor to see if there are any patients we cannot visit. Then we went to the rooms, knocked on the door, and asked if they would like a visit from a therapy dog. Some didn't. But some did. Some people aren't animal lovers, but the ones that are- this totally made their day. The hospital had a cart for the little dogs to ride on- (to make it easier for the patients in bed to see them and pet them.) But since Stormy was on the cart, Jasmine walked. If the patient could sit up in bed, I would ask them if they wanted to see a trick. (I just did little ones- like "Be Shy", "Sit Pretty", or "Wave". There wasn't a lot of room to do much more.) If they were lying down, I lifted Jaz up so they could pet her. It was really a rewarding experience. Candy said that on Fridays (which is going to be my regular shift)- the surgery waiting room would be full.... and that had more space to do a little trick show. (for the family/friends waiting for people having surgery.)

My favorite areas were the pediatric ER and the pediatric oncology. (and the staff and nurses really love the dog therapy teams too!) It was a really good experience. I highly recommend it!
I feel like this is one of the areas that the Lord has blessed me with talents. Dog training, reaching out to people... so I need to share that with others. And like the quote said at the beginning, you can't help but feel good when you're doing it.

2 comments:

Ryan and Candice Nelson said...

Ths is soo cute and what a cool way to show Jasmine's talents :) You're both great!

Mammaratzzi said...

I love that you and Jaz volunteer at the hospital. I bet the people just love you! And how can they not adore that cute puppy?